Poise* Pilates Videos
Watch videos and read step by step instructions on pelvic floor exercises with Poise* Pilates.
Kegel Exercise Rolling Knee Overview
This video describes the rolling knee kegel exercise. We always recommend the exercise is done with those pelvic floor muscles switched on – for a detailed description on how to engage your core see our pelvic floor exercise page.
Lie down on your back, arms out the side in a V-shape away from the head. Engage your pelvic floor muscles and raise your ankles and knees at right angles. Roll both knees slowly to your right as shown in the image. Return to the centre, then roll to your left. Repeat 5 times. This exercise can also be done with your feet on an exercise ball.
Kegel Exercise Rolling Knee Step by step:
- Lie on your back with feet off the floor and your knees bent up to right angles.
- Engage your pelvic floor muscles and ensure your spine is in the neutral position.
- Breathing out, begin to roll the pelvis and knees to the left, while keeping your right shoulder on the floor.
- Breathe in and return the pelvis to the starting position, pause, and breath out. This time roll your pelvis and knees to right, holding your left shoulder on the floor.
- Aim to keep both shoulders flat on the floor as the pelvis rolls from side to side.
Keep your feet, knees and hips all rolling as one unit. Your knees should stay at right angles to keep the pressure off the lower back, and don’t drop your feet while performing the exercise.
Check that you maintain a constant neutral spine and that as always, the pelvic floor is activated. This exercise can also be done with some variations including using an exercise ball, resting your feet on a stool or as described above without additional support.
For a detailed demonstration watch the rolling knee exercise video.